The Department of Building Service Engineering and Process Engineering was established by unification of the Department of Building Service Engineering and Department of Process Engineering in 2007. The new unified department has been headed by Professor Dr. Péter Láng since 2008.
The establishment of the Department of Building Service Engineering was initiated by Professor Árpád Macskásy in 1951, and he became the first head of the department. Later on Professor József Menyhárt, Professor László Bánhidi and till the unification of both departments, Professor László Garbai acted as heads of department.
Predecessor of the Department of Process Engineering, the Department of Chemical Machinery and Agricultural Industries was established in 1949 under leadership of Emil Bass. Then Associate Professor Balázs Szántay followed by Professor Sándor Szentgyörgyi headed the Department. The Department, the name of which changed to Department of Chemical and Food Engineering and then to Department of Process Engineering, was headed by Professor Károly Molnár from 1988 to the unification of both departments
The mission of the department is to train engineers able to elaborate concepts of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and technological machinery and processes, to model, construct, operate and maintain them; carry out IT, control and safety tasks of these systems and system elements.